Need we say more? Targeted mix of cardio and strength training.
Before Class: What Do I Need to Know
- We recommend reserving your class in advance however it is not required.
- Attire: leggings, sweats, heels, sneakers, jazz shoes, and ballroom dance shoes.
During Class: What to Expect
- Itinerary: Class will begin with a total body warmup and light stretch. salsa classes consist of learning fundamentals to basic steps into salsa. This class will teach you salsa moves such as basic left turn, basic right turn, and open break. In the last 45 minutes of class, I like to mix up with a combination of footwork to get the most out of that Latin flavor.
- Classes are for All Levels. However, during your first class, it is common to feel lost. As you continue with more classes it’ll get easier to pick up choreography.
After Class: Now What
- Expect to be really sore. Continue to stretch at home and plan your next workout soon to get over the soreness more quickly.
- For increased benefit, do not allow too much time
History of Salsa:
While salsa music had been popular since the 1910s, the dance didn’t come about until the 1920s. In the 1970s, salsa dancing got a big boost in popularity from Cuban & Puerto Rican musicians in New York. Salsa dancing is a mixture of several Latin dances, including tango, mambo, and flamenco, with each region adding its own flavor to the dance. Because of this, there are several styles of salsa, including Cuban, Miami style, Afro-Latino, and Colombian salsa. During the entire dance, the upper body is level, all movement takes place in your lower body. This leads to the swinging hip movements salsa is known for.
What are the benefits of Salsa class?
- Burn Calories & Boost Metabolism: Everyone wants to burn calories and even though we start out slowly in dance by learning techniques, eventually Salsa dancing becomes a great workout that can burn up to 600 calories per hour. And it’s much more exciting than running on a treadmill.
- Mind-Body-Mood Exercise: When you’re Salsa dancing, you’re so focused on your body’s movements and the music. You’re fully engaged in the moment, so it’s truly a mind-body exercise. Salsa is never boring. You’re mentally alert and on your toes all the time and this keeps you in a good mood! Salsa dancing also trains you to become a better listener. With time and practice, you develop proper ear training as well as a Salsa groove.
- Reverse The Aging Process: Salsa dancing gives you get the cardio that your heart needs, it improves circulation and increases respiration. It strengthens a variety of muscles and bones and keeps your joints flexible. And all this combined is what gives you the dancer’s glow!
- Improve Balance, Coordination, and Posture: The key move in Salsa dancing that helps us with our balance and coordination is a simple turn. Once you master the technique then things get interesting. The secret is patience, practice, point of focus, good shoes, and trial&error. Before you know it you’ve developed the dancer’s posture, you’re looking up, focusing straight ahead, and spinning like a top!
Why take solo salsa at inner me?
No partner? No problem!
The best class for beginners to learn salsa! This class will teach you solo salsa moves and footwork that will improve your salsa timing and rhythm. Some of the fundamentals that you will learn are basic left turn, basic right turn, and open break. It will also prepare you to dance with a partner in the future too.